Landscape Photo Editing: Step-by-Step Guide to My Full Lightroom Workflow

Landscape Photo Editing: Step-by-Step Guide to My Full Lightroom Workflow

Some photographers don’t enjoy photo editing nearly as much as the shoot itself. I, personally, love post processing. Sure, sometimes it can be a tedious and time-consuming endeavor. But that’s when being a hobbyist has its greatest advantage. I can do it when I want to, stop when I want to, and start again when I feel more inspired.

That said, editing cannot turn a bad photo into a great photo. 80% of photography comes from taking the photo – the exposure, the composition and the focus that happens when you’re actually shooting. The other 20% comes from the editing – bringing down the highlights, brightening shadows, adding some clarity, etc. From start to end, the photography process is about being creative, artistic and uniquely you. No two people will shoot or edit a photo the exact same way.

Read More

Improve Photography Exercise: Analyzing my Favorite Landscape Photos

Improve Photography Exercise: Analyzing my Favorite Landscape Photos

I’ve heard that one way to improve your photography is to analyze photos you love, and pinpoint what it is about them appeals to you. This is something I constantly – yet subconsciously – do every day. I scroll through Instagram, like and comment on incredible shots, but I’ve never jotted down these notes. I’ve now reached a point in my learning process where I want to reflect on my own style in an attempt to further my progress in photography.

Read More

The Croton Dam: A Must For Every New York Photographer

The Croton Dam: A Must For Every New York Photographer

If you’re a landscape photographer in New York, chances are you’ve seen photos of the Croton Dam. Images of that honeycomb-esque structure with water cascading along the exterior or of that overpouring stretch of reflective water – that is the Croton Dam.

Read More

Planning an Iceland Landscape Photography Trip (What I Would've Done Differently)

Planning an Iceland Landscape Photography Trip (What I Would've Done Differently)

I did so much to prepare for my Iceland trip but, as it turned out, I still did not prepare enough. Of course, looking back now, it was clear what I should've done differently. Hopefully these Iceland landscape photography tips can help other photographers get the best shots from the Land of Fire and Ice.

Read More

Landscape Photography Tips: Lessons from my First Year Shooting (pt 2)

Landscape Photography Tips: Lessons from my First Year Shooting (pt 2)

Last week, I wrote about 7 lessons I learned during my first year shooting landscapes. I was too wordy to fit all 14 lessons in one post, so I will continue with the remaining lessons now. The landscape photography tips covered below were learned later in the year. In some cases, weeks or even months after the first 7. 

Read More

Landscape Photography Tips: Lessons from my First Year Shooting (pt 1)

Landscape Photography Tips: Lessons from my First Year Shooting (pt 1)

I've learned a ton since my first day shooting in Central Park but I continue to be humbled by the incredible photos and talented photographers that I encounter each day. That said, the great thing about photography is that there is always more to be learned. With the start of the new year, I wanted to reflect on the lessons I learned from my first year shooting, and hope these landscape photography tips will be helpful to others who are just diving in.

Read More

10 Uncrowded NYC Photography Spots

10 Uncrowded NYC Photography Spots

I moved to New York in the winter of 2014, but picked up my first DSLR just earlier this year. As I fell deeper into photography, I spent my weekdays researching NYC photography spots, and my weekends practicing the craft in various locations around New York. I wanted to write this blog post for anyone looking to find some off-the-beaten-path recommendations for shooting New York City.

Read More